How do I get food to feed my pets?
We can provide dry cat food and sometimes cat litter. We provide food ONLY for indoor, domestic cats. We can never guarantee that we will have a specific brand or special diet in stock when you come, but we will always try to accommodate your brand requests! At this time we do not provide food for the feeding of feral cats. Anyone who does so will lose their ability to receive food from the Pet Chow Pantry. We have nothing against feral cats, but our program is to help people in financial need to keep their pets in their homes, rather than surrender them to shelters. To this end, we need you to comply with using the food only to feed your domestic household kitties! We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.
The Pet Chow Pantry can provide dry dog food and sometimes dog treats. We can never guarantee that we will have a specific brand or special diet in stock when you come, but we will always try to accommodate your brand requests.
Food will also be available for pets with special diets if we can source what is needed in time for your pick up. Please let us know ahead of time if you require special feed for your pet. We can not guarantee that we can get it, but every effort will be made to assist you in getting that diet for your pet!
BASIC REQUIREMENTS TO RECEIVE FOOD
- Proof of unemployment, low income status or disability with a valid driver license or some form of ID
- Agree that pets are for companionship and not for breeding or any illegal activities – if you are breeding, you are not eligible.
- Agree to maintain healthy conditions for your pets or let us know if this is not possible
- We must limit the number of pets that are given food and this will be on a discussion/situation basis.
- Agree not to tether or chain dogs, or leave outside 24/7.
- All your pets must be spayed or neutered. If they are not, you must advise and we will work to find you low/cost spay neuter options.
- One applicant per household
- If your application is approved you will receive a month's supply of pet food at a time, for six months. If you still need our assistance at the end of six months, your application will be re-evaluated.
- A food pick-up day and time will be scheduled through the Pet Chow Pantry coordinator who will follow up with all applicants.
- We offer temporary assistance for feeding pets. We are not to be used as a permanent source of pet food. Pick up is limited to once per month.
- We reserve the right to refuse anyone under any circumstance.
- We ask for personal information when one applies, but do not share it with anyone and all information is kept strictly confidential.
- No one in the household is to resell food or items provided by the Pantry or all members involved will be banned from assistance indefinitely.
- Food can be picked up at the Pet Chow Pantry located at Pets Alive Animal Sanctuary in Middletown. When necessary we can arrange to have pet food delivered to your home.
- We are providing a service to the community and ask that recipients receive only as much food as they need.
- We accept all kinds of pet food. By accepting food and/or services from the Pantry, the recipient, all household members, their friends and family agree not to hold the Pantry, its staff, volunteers, and benefactors legally liable in the unfortunate event the recipient's pet(s) becomes ill or the food upsets the pet's stomach.
Frequently asked questions:
- Can you bring the food to me?
Yes! When necessary arrangements can be made to deliver the food to an applicant’s home.
- Can I have both dog & cat food?
Yes! We will help you feed all the animals in your care whenever possible. Please be sure to request all the food that is needed to help you take care of all your pets. Please also be sure to advise us of any special diets, special needs, or special animals you might need so we can try to procure those diets in the future, if we do not have them now.
How do I know if I qualify?
Fill out the online application and the Pet Chow Pantry coordinator will get in touch with you after reviewing your request.